MarySue Harris Studio Teacher Fellowship Guidelines
This $3,000 grant, funded by the MarySue Harris Endowment Fund, is presented annually to a recently graduated independent teacher who demonstrates commitment to the music teaching profession and outstanding studio development.
As the preeminent organization for music teachers, MTNA offers programs and services to enhance the life and livelihood of independent music teachers and to support them in their careers.
- One recipient will be selected.
- A $3,000 cash award, presented at the MTNA National Conference generally held in March of each year.
- Should not have an established studio/been a teaching professional for more than three years.
- Open to teachers of all instruments and voice.
Timeline—Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2018 Fellowship
|3 p.m. Eastern Time, November 1, 2017
||Deadline for Applications
|March 21, 2018
||Recipient Recognized at MTNA Awards Brunch
All information below, except video, should be in one document (Word or PDF).
- Include a page containing current contact information.
Letter of Application
- Explain the importance of the award for the applicant’s future, a detailed plan for use of funds, position in profession and length of time studio has been established.
Letters of Recommendation
- Three letters of recommendation (one-page each) must be submitted with the application.
- One recommendation must be from an MTNA member.
- Other recommendations must include people/teachers who know the applicant’s teaching and performance background.
- Transcripts need not be official.
- A complete resume should be included.
- Be submitted as a YouTube link or uploaded in .mp4, .wmv or .flv format.
- Not exceed 5 minutes total time. Longer videos may result in disqualification.
- Include two teaching segments, one demonstrating a student performance of an entire piece/movement. A performance by the applicant should not be included.
- Include a printed outline of the lesson(s) being taught on the video.
- The applicant must submit materials that highlight strengths and demonstrate an ability to implement creative studio teaching. This includes:
- Small business plan (current or proposed)
- Studio policies and procedures (current or proposed)
- Teaching philosophy
- Most recent student recital program with date included
Questions? Consult the Studio Teacher Fellowship FAQs.
Failure to follow directions or meet eligibility requirements may disqualify the applicant.