Submit A Manuscript
American Music Teacher is a refereed journal that welcomes submissions from all areas of the music teaching profession. We seek well-written, engaging articles that offer original perspectives.
- AMT will not consider manuscripts that have been submitted to any other publication.
- If you have an idea for an article, but have not written a manuscript, you may email a query to gauge interest (email@example.com). A query should include a brief outline, the angle and tone that will be used and a list of suggested illustrations or other supporting materials. In a separate document, include your name, address, telephone number, fax number and email address.
- AMT retains and controls the copyrights to all published manuscripts.
- Authors are asked to sign an Article Submission Agreement that will be sent via email after a manuscript is received by MTNA.
- Members of Music Teachers National Association receive AMT as a member benefit.
- Nearly 75 percent of AMT's readers are independent music teachers; 15 percent are college/university instructors; 5 percent are students; the balance teach in other settings.
- Approximately 75 percent of AMT's readers list keyboard as their primary instrument; voice, strings, woodwind, brass and percussion comprise the remaining primary instruments.
- Feature articles are any length up to 2,000 words.
- Authors are asked to provide musical examples, photos and/or other artwork to accompany their manuscripts. Digital photos/scans are preferred; they must be high-resolution (300 dpi minimum) and a minimum 3"x5". Color photos are ideal, but black-and-white photos are acceptable.
- Only files in JPEG, TIFF, EPS or PDF formats will be accepted. Printed photos must be 4"x6" or 5"x7". Other printed artwork may be from 3"x5" to 8 1/2"x11". No printed photos or artwork will be returned.
- Authors are responsible for obtaining written permission to reprint musical examples and photos when necessary. If a publisher requests a fee for the right to reprint, the fee is the author's responsibility.
- All copyright information (i.e. date, publisher, etc.) must accompany any copyrighted material that is being used.
- AMT accepts only manuscripts submitted as a Microsoft Word or text document and uploaded using the button below.
- Use the author-date system with a reference list (Consult the Chicago Manual of Style for examples.) Manuscripts not following this format will be returned to the author for correction prior to peer review.
- Manuscript should include a brief abstract/synopsis of the article.
- The author's name or other identifying marks should not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- The author's name, address, phone number, fax number, e-mail address and a 2–3-sentence biography should be in a separate document.
- Manuscripts should be submitted by clicking "Submit A Manuscript" at the bottom of this page.
- Receipt of the manuscript will be acknowledged.
- Most manuscripts are reviewed individually by three members of AMT's editorial committee, who will recommend one of three courses of action: accept with definite publication, accept for further consideration or reject.
- Based on these recommendations, a final decision will be made regarding a course of action.
- The author's identity remains unknown to everyone but the managing editor throughout the review process.
- This process can take several months.
- Authors will be notified of the decision.
- AMT will not provide commentary on rejected articles.
- Authors receive three complimentary copies of the magazine in which their article appears. Additional copies may be purchased.