MTNA Plagiarism Policy
Plagiarism may include, but is not limited to:
Using concepts, ideas, text, charts, graphics or other works that were created by others without properly acknowledging the author who actually created the work.
- Copying verbatim, or nearly verbatim the work of another person or persons without citation.
- Paraphrasing without crediting the source.
- Not using quotation marks or indented paragraphs to indicate quoted material even if it is credited.
If plagiarism is reported to MTNA or suspected by MTNA, the following steps will be taken:
MTNA will contact the Author informing him/her of the allegation.
- Author has 14 days to respond, in writing, to the allegation.
- After an investigation by MTNA, MTNA will determine if the allegations are substantiated.
- The degree of plagiarism, as determined by MTNA, will dictate the action taken.
After investigating the allegations and the Author’s response, MTNA will make a determination and inform the Author in writing of MTNA’s findings and determination. If plagiarism is found to have occurred, MTNA may take one or more of the following remedial actions depending upon the degree of plagiarism and the culpability of the Author:
- A notice of the plagiarism determination will appear in the publication where the violation occurred and will include:
- An apology from the Author; and
- An erratum.
- The Author will be banned from submitting manuscripts to any MTNA publications for 3 years.
- The Author will be ineligible to sit on any MTNA editorial committee/board.
American Music Teacher Obituary Policy
MTNA shall publish annually, in the February/March issue of AMT, a list of the names of MTNA members who died during the previous year. According to notifications received, the Membership Information Services Department will supply these names to AMT.
In addition, MTNA shall publish, from time to time, obituaries of individuals who have made significant and/or substantial contributions to music, especially to music teaching and to MTNA. Inclusion of any obituary is at the discretion of the publisher of AMT.
American Music Teacher Acceptance/Rejection Policy
American Music Teacher does not provide evaluative commentary regarding the acceptance or rejection of manuscripts.