THE MTNA–STECHER AND HOROWITZ TWO PIANO COMPETITION
The duo pianists, Melvin Stecher and Norman Horowitz, have devoted their lives to performing music for two pianos throughout the world. For decades, they have made it their mission to sustain and advance the importance of artistic collaboration in a profession that has traditionally been the domain of the soloist. For almost five decades they afforded audiences the world over an unforgettable musical experience. Now, the duo is taking their support of two piano performance to a new level through the establishment of the MTNA–Stecher and Horowitz Two Piano Competition.
The MTNA–Stecher and Horowitz Two Piano Competition differs from the MTNA student performance competitions because it consists of only two rounds: a Preliminary Round, by video submission only; and a Final Round, which takes place live at the National Conference. All entrants will compete without regard to the state or division in which they live or take lessons.
- September 4, 2018: Online Application available on Accept’d
- January 3, 2019: Application and video submission deadline at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time (no late applications accepted)
- January 16, 2019: Notification of selection or non-selection as finalists (5 duos will be selected to perform at the Finals)
- March 18, 2019: Rehearsals for the Finals 8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. (entrants should plan to arrive on March 17 if they wish to practice in the ballroom where the competition will be held)
- March 19, 2019: Competition Finals, Awards Ceremony, and Winners Concert at the 2019 MTNA National Conference in Spokane, Washington
Please read all Application Rules for the competition. It is VERY important that you review this document before submitting an application. This document includes:
Eligibility for the competition
- Online application procedures
- Repertoire requirements
- Video files for competition
- Competition procedures
- Prizes and awards
- Finalists information
- General rules
Please direct all questions to MTNA.