MTNA–Stecher and Horowitz Two Piano Competition
The duo pianists, Melvin Stecher and Norman Horowitz, have devoted their lives to performing music for two pianos throughout the world. For decades, they have made it their mission to sustain and advance the importance of artistic collaboration in a profession that has traditionally been the domain of the soloist. For almost five decades they afforded audiences the world over an unforgettable musical experience. Now, the duo is taking their support of two piano performance to a new level through the establishment of the MTNA–Stecher and Horowitz Two Piano Competition.
The MTNA–Stecher and Horowitz Two Piano Competition consists of two rounds: a Preliminary Round, by video submission only; and a Final Round, which takes place live at the National Conference. All entrants will compete without regard to the state or division in which they live or take lessons.
- NEW FOR 2024: A commissioned work approximately 12 minutes in length composed by Logan Skelton will be sent to the finalists when the finalists are announced. All finalists must prepare the commissioned work for the national finals.
- The competition program may not exceed 40 minutes including the required 12-minute commissioned work. All repertoire except for the commissioned work must be submitted for the preliminary round, and no repertoire changes are allowed between rounds of the competition.
- September 1, 2023: Online Registration available on Acceptd
- January 5, 2024: Registration and video submission deadline at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time (no late registrations accepted)
- January 22, 2024: Notification of selection or non-selection as finalists (5 duos will be selected to perform at the Finals)
- March 19, 2024: Competition Finals, Awards Ceremony, and Winners Concert at the 2024 MTNA National Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
Please read all Competition Rules for the competition. It is VERY important that you review this document before submitting a registration. This document includes:
- Registration Procedures
- Repertoire Requirements
- Video Files
- Competition Procedures
- Prizes and Awards
- Finalist Information
- General Rules
Please direct all questions to MTNA.