The Diversity and Inclusion Policy of Music Teachers National Association
Adopted September 2019
In keeping with our fundamental purposes of ensuring access to music study for all students and promoting a vital and enlightened music culture for all people, MTNA is committed to diversity and inclusion in the music teaching profession. We are also committed to greater diversity and inclusion within the association itself and welcome persons of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities, abilities and marital statuses in all levels of leadership, staff and membership.
The principles and practices set forth below are intended to be collective and affirmative steps to lift the music teaching profession to a higher standard of professionalism and engagement. They should be pursued, in whole or in part, to assist MTNA, its affiliated associations, and its membership to more effectively achieve the following objectives:
Commitment: We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of MTNA structure, governance, certification, education, programming and services.
- Awareness: As part of carrying out the programs and operations of MTNA, we will be mindful of the need to increase diversity and inclusiveness.
- Promotion: We will promote the benefits of diversity to our affiliated associations and membership and provide them with new strategies to expand access to music study to all students.
- Recruitment: We will reach out and encourage music teachers from all cultures to participate in MTNA programming and activities.
- Programming: We will provide diverse programming and educational offerings that will allow MTNA membership greater access to different and varied methodologies, ideas, information and perspectives.
- Strategic Approach: As a strategic initiative, MTNA will seek to establish and pursue meaningful diversity goals as a central aspect of MTNA leadership and programming.